Tuesday 14 June 2011

Alliteration Obliteration

My favourite letter is M. It's a menacing letter. It's maniacal, magical, marvelous!


Munchable?


Precisely. 


Morose?


Quite right.


Makevelijughuyokiiuuijbu?


I'm doing well today, thank you, and yes. This week we'd like from you – you daring dumplings – to write a piece (up to 500 words) that uses alliteration. A great example of this is used in Horrid Haiku by Laurel Kahaner:

"My blocks are more powerful than your Horrid Haiku," the young girl said to the man in the black hat and fur coat. “This block of a T contains tornadoes, Terpsichore and tandemonium, (I really don’t care that the word usually begins with a P). It’s not that I don’t like haiku. I do. It’s just that your haikus are mean-spirited and Terrible. Tremendously Too Troublesome.” 
“I’m about to place the T block onto the A block,” the girl continued, moving the block into place. The body underneath the A block was stiff causing the blocks to shift. 
“Then the Tarnadoes will be Tarrific. Ta.” The blocks threatened to topple. The man looked at the blocks, worry wrinkled his forehead. “Ta is a friendly goodbye in Scottish, you know. Now, if you don’t Toddle off this instant I shall be forced to aim this T at your heart.  I don’t expect the block will find a heart but my aim is strong and I will make you wish you never attempted to haiku your way into my nursery. You are disturbing my block play.” 
The A block began to sigh, “Ahhh, ahhhhhhh.” 
Thrice I’ve told you,” the girl said, “Begone! Or we will build your Tomb in this room. Ta!"
The black-coated man looked longingly at the A and T blocks then shuffled away, trying to create a haiku that could explain the little girl. But he could not.  

Deadline for submissions: Tuesday, June 21th. The winners will be announced on Friday, June 26.

With your submission please put in the subject line "Alliteration Challenge". For the name of your document please put your story/artwork name, underscore and your name. Ex: ToesForEating_MarjorieMerle.doc

You can submit your work as a Word document or stick it directly in the email to junipertreelit@gmail.com and please forgive us in advance if we don't write back to you immediately. Tex is fairly anal about reading and viewing everything we get. With your submission please tell us a little bit about yourself.

For the rest of the guidelines and what should not be submitted, go to our Submit Work page.

Need inspiration? Watch this video:




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think and you might get to keep your toes attached.